The updated edition of PMBOK i.e. PMBOK 6 comes with many changes that make it different from PMBOK 5. It is important to have an overview of PMBOK 5 Vs PMBOK 6 to understand the changes in PMBOK 6th Edition. The considerable points of difference between PMBOK 5 and PMBOK 6 are as below –
1. Change in Processes
In PMBOK 6th Edition, the total number of processes has been increased to 49 from 47 with the addition of three new processes and deletion of one process. Also, the name of some processes has been changed that is mentioned in this table.
2. Renaming of Knowledge Areas
Two knowledge areas have been renamed to accurately express the areas. The knowledge areas that have been renamed are –
- Time Management renamed to Schedule Management
- Human Resource Management renamed to Schedule Management
3. Movement of Section
Also, the section 6.4 of PMBOK 5 named Estimate Activity Resources has been moved to the section Project Resource Management.
4. Merger of Chapters
The Chapter 2nd Organizational influences and Project Life Cycle and Chapter 3rd Project Management Processof the PMBOK 5 has been merged to the Chapter 2nd The Environment in Which Project Operates of the PMBOK 6.
5. Addition of New Chapter on the Role of Project Manager
The new chapters on the role of project manager have been added as Chapter 3rd in PMBOK 6 that focuses on PMI Talent Triangle. These chapters are –
- Focus on Effective Leadership including Essential Competencies, Skills, and Experience
PMP Talent Triangle consists of Strategic and Business Management, Leadership, and Technical Project Management.
6. Addition of New Sections in Chapters
Every chapter of the PMBOK 6 has four new sections namely –
- Key concepts – This new section has been added to make PMBOK interesting to read. This section will explain the summary of the chapter, this will make the chapter easy to understand.
- Tailoring considerations – This section tailors the processes to meet the requirements of the project, stakeholders, and organizations. In this section, those areas are covered that a project manager should consider during the tailoring of processes.
- Trends and Emerging Practices – This section of the chapter consists of the emerging practices and trends that are not required to be practiced now during the project executions.
- Considerations for Agile/Adaptive Environments – This section introduces some agile techniques and tools such as iteration planning and sprint. The areas that follow a different approach in the agile environment are covered in this section.
Appendix X3, X4, X5 and X6 of the PMBOK 6 covers of Agile Environment, Key Concepts, Tailoring Considerations, and Tools & Techniques respectively. Reading these appendixes will help the candidates to understand the concepts and themes of PMBOK 6.